Wednesday, August 24, 2011

TOUGH WEEK...

This week I have been faced with many challenges. Let's just say it has not been a good one and I am putting all my time, effort and life into this degree.
I remember like it was yesterday, coming into FEDISA, not quite sure of what I wanted to do as I had just moved down from Johannesburg.
I originally wanted to study fashion editing but no instititions offered this course, so I then applied to study a BA Degree Fashion Design at FEDISA. I was apprehensive. I thought to myself- I can not  draw- I can not sew!!! How am I going to get through this!!! I have always been very academic my entire life, achieving full academic colours, therefore a creative qualification I was indeed not prepared for.
Almost 3 years have gone by and I look at where I am today- I can draw- I can sew!!! I have accomplished many challenges along the way and there are only a few feeks left to go until completion of this degree.
I have put my heart and soul into this degree and I know that it is all going to pay off.

I have been so blessed as the well-known designer, Jenni Button has offered me a prestigious position in her company, Philosophy. I am thrilled that I have things on track and I can finally start earning money to cater for the dent this degree has left in my parent's pocket! I am putting my everything into the next few weeks... the end is so near!

Anyway, I have received a very interesting assignment for History whereby we have had to evaluate a designer's impact on the fashion world. Being unconventional, I have researched- Roy Halston Frowick, better known as "Halston". He was born as an Iowa native in 1932, and was famous for his fluid, silky and sexy designs that became a symbol in the 70's era. Frowick's interest in fashion and sewing was evident at a young age as he used to tailor clothing for his mother and sister. He later applied to study at the University of Indiana where he lasted only one simester, and  started taking night courses at an art institute in Chicago, and began to work as a window dresser.
In Fowick's spare time he created high-fashion hats, and it was after publicity in a Chicago Newspaper where he was able to open his own boutique in 1957.
Moving to New York, he landed a position as co-designer for milliner Lilly Dache, and then tony Bergdorf Goodman, where he became the house designer of fashionable hats. Frowick become renowned for his "pillbox" hat designs in the 60's, which was commonly worn and publicised by Jackie Kennedy.
In the 70's, Frowick befriended and designed for many major names, such as Bianca Jagger, Liza Minelli and Liz Taylor which scorched his career beyond limits.
An unfortunate drug addiction and AIDS diagnosis in 1988 led to his downfall wherby he was unable to cope with the demands of his career and was fired from his company. Frowick sadly died in 1990 but his famous designers and top-selling perfume will remain in the fashion limelight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment